Applicants must hold a bachelor's degree with at least 180 ECTS points and a minimum grade of 2.6 (according to the German grading system) in one of the following scientific fields:
- Natural or Environmental Sciences
- Political Sciences
Proof of sufficient knowledge in economics, and/or the social sciences, i.e. at least 60 ECTS points in at least one of these subjects.
The application includes a letter of motivation of 500 words (+/- 10%) outlining the candidate’s personal motivation and his or her subject-specific knowledge.
Applications will be examined individually as to whether the study requirements are fulfilled. A specialist commission at JLU will then finally decide on the admission. The criteria for the evaluation of the motivation letter are given in the examination regulations. We cannot provide information on the status of acceptance before the application process is fully completed.
(Please note that the admission requirements shall apply subject to the consent of the Justus Liebig University Senate in the summer of 2021.)
As the entire degree course is taught in English, applicants must provide proof of sufficient knowledge of written and spoken English. Accepted proofs of language proficiency include the following four options:
- TOEFL test iBT (internet-based test) with at least 80 points or IELTS test with a minimum grade of 6 in the academic test;
- Proof of university entrance qualification awarded for one of the following countries: Australia, Ireland, Canada, Aotearoa/New Zealand, the USA, the UK, South Africa
- Proof of completion of an English-language bachelor’s degree course
- Proof of the UNIcert II certificate.
As students have to work with learning management systems, elaborate knowledge and submit several different written tasks, we expect the following technical requirements:
- Reliable internet connection,
- Computer with sufficient screen size (about 15 inches), camera and headset, whereas several different devices and combinations are possible, for instance: laptop with integrated camera or web cam plus headset and possibly an additional screen. Be careful about your choice of a tablet, as statistic programmes, for instance, do not run on every device. We therefore recommend to use a laptop or a classic workstation computer.
Please refrain from studying with only a smartphone, as you need to work with literature, complex statistic programmes, and write term papers.
Nd = your grade
x = German grade
Nmin = lowest passing grade
Nmax = highest achievable grade
You can convert your letter grade by assigning a number to each letter.
Your grading system is A+, A, B, C, D, and E (Fail). The highest achievable grade is A+, while the lowest passing grade is D. Now you assign numerical values in ascending order starting with 1 to each letter. As a result you get a list like this:
- A+ equals 1
- A equals 2
- B equals 3
- C equals 4
- D equals 5
- E equals 6
Converting your grade is now easily done: 1 is the highest achievable grade (A+), and 5 is lowest passing grade (D). Select the numerical value of your grade and insert it into the equation.